Monday, June 15, 2015

Duck River - Warner Bridge to Halls Mill


Estimated Length: 7.6 Miles                                
Date: June 7, 2015
Weather: Sunny and in the 80’s
Time on the River: 5 Hours
River Conditions: Class I
Distance from Nashville: 45 minutes
Close By: Halls Mill Diner, Henry Horton State Park,
Chapel Hill
Discharge of Duck River at Shelbyville: 249 cfs
Outfitters: Halls Mill Country Dinner Kayak/
                    Inner Tube Rentals 931-294-3474

Busy Access Point
What a What difference two years can make!!! This part of the Duck has become very popular. With the opening of the Halls Mill Diner in 2014 and the addition of the Kayak/Inner Tube Rentals, the access point at Halls Mill was jumping. I guess that is what is to be expected with the growing number of paddlers in the Middle TN area.

Halls Mill Country Diner
This section of the Duck is still one of our favorites. It has everything a paddler wants: high bluffs, beautiful scenery, some fast sections, gravel bars to stop and play, and a waterfall. Even though there were a good number of people getting on the river, this run is long enough that there are stretches that you are by yourself.


I do wish that motorized boats would be outlawed on the Duck. I know not everybody will agree with me but the river is not that wide in places, or that deep and they are noisy!!! On this paddle we saw two air-boats and while they do not make any wake they are extremely loud. We also saw numerous motorized long boats. It would be great if the TWRA were to compromise and make some sections of this river non-motorized, most paddlers would be grateful.
Air-boat on the Duck River

Beautiful Bluffs!

In all it was a great day on the river!!!
Friends Hanging Out On the River

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. I was doing research on a Duck River float and found you. Very helpful. On the Duck River is the Haskins Chapel Road access private?

    I have floated from Hopkins Bridge to Henry Horton a couple of times many years ago (I used to work at Henry Horton) but now the Hopkins Bridge access is closed and to float down from Halls Mill is about 14 miles. To do that length and fish would be a long day.

    My sons and I float the Stones River these days.

    Anyway, thanks for all the great info on our area rivers.

    KT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KT,
      Glad you enjoy the blog! It has been a few years since I have used the Haskins Chapel Road access to the Duck. I am not sure if its private or not, but the last time I was there they did have the canoe access sign. Also, it is listed on the Tennessee Duck River Development Agency site as an access point. You can fine the link to their information at "Maps of Duck River" on the bottom of my blog, under River Resources.
      Wish I had more information for you.

      Delete